“Clear discrimination” is how the commission for coastal fishing views the continued government ban on sargo (seabream) capture which excludes boat and submarine fishermen. In other words, only rod fishermen are bound by the ban which extends from February 1 to March 15. Protests last year saw assurances that the ban would be lifted, but this has not happened. Says David Rosa for the commission, new protests will follow throughout Costa Vicentina.

“Clear discrimination” is how the commission for coastal fishing views the continued government ban on sargo (seabream) capture which excludes boat and submarine fishermen. In other words, only rod fishermen are bound by the ban which extends from February 1 to March 15. Protests last year saw assurances that the ban would be lifted, but this has not happened. Says David Rosa for the commission, new protests will follow throughout Costa Vicentina.

“We are disgusted”, he told reporters.

“This is a case of clear discrimination” as only one sector of fishermen are being prevented from catching the fish.

The government’s argument is that sargo approach the coast during this winter period to drop their eggs, and thus rod fishermen are the greatest risk to the fish’s sustainability.

via The Portugal Resident