The Sebastian Giovinco era in Toronto is over.

Toronto FC, unwilling to meet the Italian international’s contract demands, sold Giovinco to Saudi Arabian club Al-Hilal FC on Wednesday.

Toronto had already turned down one bid for the Atomic Ant from a Middle East club. But facing an impasse in contact negotiations, it got what it could for Giovinco on Wednesday with the January FIFA transfer window about to close.

Toronto did not provide details of the transfer fee.

Despite Giovinco’s protestations that he liked Toronto and wanted to stay here, it appears it came down to ‘Show me the money.’ While the 32-year-old Giovinco said he thought he had another six years left in his playing career, who can blame him for hitting up the Saudi ATM while he could.

“I’d like to thank the fans and my teammates for four special years playing for Toronto FC,” Giovinco said in a statement. “I’d also like to thank the club for helping me as I transition into the next phase of my career.”

Better bring a wheelbarrow.


Read more on Milenio Stadium